I was supposed to be starting work on my writerconuk talk today but, instead, I've been working on my dramione_duet story, which is nearly finished though it isn't due until October, and answering these questions:
1. What kind of soap is in your bathtub right now?
Beside my hand basin, I have some Waitrose Olive and Jojoba liquid soap in a pretty green-glass dispenser, and there's some pink and purple fruity-smelling soap, which my brother brought me from Whitby, on a striped green-glass soap dish a lady on Etsy made to order.
2. Do you have any watermelon in your refrigerator?
No. I can't have watermelon on my IBS diet.
3. Is there anything mouldy in your refrigerator?
4. Are there any dirty dishes in your sink?
5. What would you change about your living room?
I'd gut it! When I moved in, it had different paper/artex on every wall, so I painted everything pale green, which was a step in the right direction, but one day I'll get round to having it stripped bare, and re-plastered. I will also have the brick fireplace -- which runs the whole length of the wall and, apparently, covers another fireplace -- taken out. In fact, I'll wield the sledgehammer myself.
6. Are the dishes in your dishwasher clean or dirty?
I don't have a dishwasher.
7. Do you have a can of mushrooms in your pantry?
8. White or wheat bread?
I can't have bread of any kind, not even rye bread. I have oat cakes and the odd rice cake.
9. What is on top of your refrigerator?
10. What colour is your sofa?
11. What colour or design is on your shower curtain?
It's a glass door.
12. How many plants are in your home?
13. How many candles are in your home?
Hundreds. Literally. The cupboard under the stairs smells gorgeous.
14. Is your bed made right now?
15. If you have a coffee pot, what colour is it?
I don't drink coffee.
16. Electric or standard can opener
A Swiss Army Knife. I dream of having adventures.
17. Comet or Soft Scrub?
I may have an equivalent. I'm good at buying cleaning products.
18. Is your closet organized?
19. What colour is the flashlight that you use the most?
I have lots of torches because I used to live on a boat. My favourites are the squeezy panda one in the kitchen, which I use for going outside at night, and the pink one I carry in my backpack, mainly so I can read when I'm waiting for the film to start at the cinema.
20. What kinds of things are in your junk drawer?
My house is full of junk. I don't need a special drawer.
21. Do you drink out of glass or plastic most of the time at home?
A coke can. I use a plastic cup to take water upstairs at night because I'm always tripping and spilling, and because breaking glassware or crockery upsets me so much. (I've just broken one of the lovely little appetiser plates I brought back from Vancouver).
22. Do you have iced tea made in a pitcher right now?
I don't drink tea.
23. If you have a garage, is it cluttered?
It's a beautiful double garage and it's full of my books, my late father's books, my niece's furniture and my brother's trailer tent.
24. Curtains or blinds?
Both. I have a nice wooden blind in the kitchen.
25. How many pillows do you sleep with?
26. Do you sleep with any lights on at night?
I live alone, so I leave lights on all over the house. I don't like walking into a dark room. (When I lived on the boat, I used to get up in the middle of the night, climb off the boat and walk right round the boat yard to the loos, no problem, but the boat yard was brightly lit).
27. How many ceiling fans are in your home?
None. But I have a portable air con unit in the living room. Bliss :-)
28. How often do you vacuum?
Um... Not often.
29. Standard toothbrush or electric?
Two standard ones -- a rough one with lots of rubbery bits, and a gentle one.
30. What colour is your toothbrush?
They're pink and purple. They match the soap, but that's a co-incidence, honest.
31. Do you have a welcome mat on your front porch?
I don't have a porch. I do have a tiny vestibule, which I bought a mat for, but it turned out that my brother -- who owned the house before me -- had glued the carpet down to the tiles because the tiles, which are probably Victorian and therefore may be pretty, were slippery.
32. What is in your oven right now?
33. Is your microwave clean or dirty?
34. Is there anything under your bed?
35. Chore you hate doing the most?
I don't tend to do chores unless someone's coming to visit. I don't actually mind doing chores once I get started, but I had to do so many as a child, I reckon I've earned time off.
36. What retro items are in your home?
I have a collection of vinyl records. All classical.
37. Do you have a separate room that you use as an office?
I have a library :-)
38. If you have a yard, who mows it?
My yard is a yard. I don't have any grass, and I don't have anyone else to mow it if I had. I have lots of plants in containers.
39. Is there anything on your kitchen floor right now?
Probably tiny bits of appetiser plate. I have a carpet on my kitchen floor. I want limestone tiles but, every time I raise the topic with my brother -- my personal handyman! -- he tries to talk me into having underfloor heating. I'm always too hot, so the mention of underfloor heating makes me change the subject. That might be his intention.
40.How many mirrors are in your home?
I was forty before I realised that the secret of happiness is 'never look in a mirror'. However, I do have two mirrors: one on the bathroom cabinet, and a full length one that my brother, who built the wardrobes, never got round to attaching to a door -- in fact, he never got round to putting the door on the wardrobe -- so it floats about and, in an emergency, I prop it on a pile of books, grit my teeth, and have a quick look.
41. Do you have any hidden emergency money around your home?
LOL, I wish! But if I had, I'd have used it by now.
42. What colour are your walls?
Deep, deep red in the bedroom, to make it seem smaller; pale green in the living room; a riot of colours and textures my brother acquired on special offer elsewhere. The only colour I like, apart from the red in the bedroom, is a raspberry wallpaper in the bathroom.
43. Which rooms in your house have wallpaper?
All of them, to some degree.
44. Do you have a peephole in your front door?
No. There is a window in the front door, which my brother covered with its own little wooden door, because my sister-in-law was nervous. I can open it and look out, but I seldom use it because it makes me look like an idiot.
45. Do you keep any kind of protection weapons in your home?
Good god, no.
46. What does your home smell like right now?
I have pot pourri in the bathroom and in the bedroom, and I burn incense and scented candles in the living room. There may sometimes be a whiff of hamster in the living room.
47. Fave candle scent?
Usually something Christmassy but, at the moment, I'm into Sainsbury's Mint and Elderflower.
48. What kind of pickles (if any) are in your refrigerator right now?
I can't have onions on my IBS diet, but I do have pepperdew peppers and lots of olives.
49. Who are in the pictures you display?
I don't take photographs of people, I prefer to store their images in my memory. But I do have two amazing busts -- one of my father, and one of my niece aged 6 months -- which my ex-husband sculpted.
50. What colour is your favourite Bible?
I still have a Scofield Bible I bought as a student. It has a concordance and helpful little notes down the centre margin. It's black with red-gold edges to the pages.
51. Do you have plenty of cabinet space in your kitchen?
Yes, but I hoard, so there's never enough room.
52. Ever been on your roof?
I used to climb onto the roof of the boat all the time ;-) I've never been on the roof of the house, but the loft is converted and I have a skylight with a really good view.
53. Do you own a stereo?
I inherited my mother's stereo. It's not best quality, but I keep it for sentimental reasons, and to play my vinyl.
54. How many TVs do you have?
One, in the living room. My bedroom used to be a TV free zone, but now I occasionally use my iPad to watch in bed.
55. How many house phones?
56. Do you have a housekeeper?
No. I don't even housekeep myself.
57. What style do you decorate in?
I've never had the chance to find out. When I was young, my mother had the final say, when I was married my husband made all the decorating decisions, and now I just put up with what's there.* I like things to match, so living in a house where nothing matches is probably eating away at my psyche.
* I can decorate or I can go to Vancouver!
58. Do you like solid colours in furniture or prints?
60. Is there a smoke detector in your home?
Lots, but I smashed the one next to the bathroom because it kept going off when I was in the shower.
61. In case of fire, what are the items you would grab if you only could make one quick trip?
My two teddies and my hamster.
62. Do you know how to work your electrical box?
No, now that you mention it. I did when I lived on the boat, and that was complicated because it was one of those outdoor electric-standpipe things, but I've never needed to in the house. Touch wood.
63. What temperature in your home is most comfortable to you?
I have a portable air con unit! In summer, I love the bite of air con-cold air. In the winter, I have the heating set to 20 degrees.